[elrepo-devel] Two things about kversion

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Mon Jul 12 08:25:46 EDT 2010

On 22 April 2010 00:35, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 10:04 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> On 04/20/2010 03:29 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I would like to start a discussion about a couple of things regarding
>> > "kversion".
>> >
>> > (1) Which version of kernel should a kmod package be built against?
>
>> i vote for the oldest possible version which is good enough to build it
>> and hardcode it into the spec file. otherwise it very difficult to build
>> in mock since in mock uname -r is NOT the chrooted env's kernel but the
>> host machine's release and it cause eg. for me a lots of headache
>> (building fedora kmod on a centos build farm is rather tricky thing).
>
> I would also recommend building against the oldest kernel that you want
> to be using.
>
> Jon.

Resurrecting this thread . . .

Having had internal discussions (mainly Phil & I, by telephone) and
gradual, incremental refinements to the ELRepo kmod build process for
EL5 (as a result of establishing a similar process for EL6), I would
like to draw your attention to the e1000e kmod package that I have
just updated (to version 1.2.8) today.

The src.rpm file [1] is an example of building against the oldest
kernel (5.0, -8.el5, in this case) and provides packages that are kABI
compatible with the entire range of released kernels (5.0 to 5.5,
-8.el5 to -194.8.1.el5).

Of course both the kmodspec-el5 [2] and kmodtool-el5 [3] template
files also provide generic examples.

Alan.

[1] http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/SRPMS/e1000e-kmod-1.2.8_NAPI-1.el5.elrepo.src.rpm
[2] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmodspec-el5