[elrepo-devel] kmod packaging (was Re: Two things about kversion)

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Tue Jul 13 16:43:06 EDT 2010

On 12 July 2010 21:21, Farkas Levente <lfarkas at lfarkas.org> wrote:

> for me the most important would be one common, usable way to build kmod
> packages. we can now forget the support for all old el4, el5 version.
> since it's clear that we can't solve it for those distros. but we've got
> a change (before 6 GA) to made modification/fixes to the current state.
> for this there are a few packages to review:
> - redhat-rpm-config (kmodtool, macros %kernel_module_package)
> - kabi-yum-plugins (which should have to be called yum-plugin-kabi)
> - yum regarding to the kernel-module<->kabi-module provides and module
> update/install mechanism (which is currently wrong).
> - one common spec file template.
>
> i wrote an earlier mail [1] about my thought mainly that i like to see
> one common kmodtool, since currently (imho more then 90% of) elrepo use
> the same kmodtool included in the source. in stead of we can use
> /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/kmodtool and only a few exception case include a
> modified one.
>
> another suggestion to to use the same for %kernel_module_package as
> kmodtool.
>

> [1] http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-December/003844.html
>
> ps. jon are you subscribed to this list?

Levente,

Taking your PS first, although I don't have access to the m/l records,
I'm sure that Jon said he had subscribed to this list. Perhaps Akemi,
Phil or Steve will confirm Jon's status, please? I can confirm that he
does frequent the #elrepo IRC channel although, at the moment, he is
not present. I put that down to the holiday / vacation season.

As for your suggestions yes, I does make sense to get as much fixed /
changed / modified before RHEL6 GR . . . but it must be done the
correct way via Red Hat's bug tracker. Obviously we can catch Jon's
attention and discuss things on mailing lists such as this -- indeed
it can be a help for him to know that a particular issue is about to
be logged.

I would like to suggest that, once you are back from your vacation,
you open a report at Red Hat's bug tracker for each separate proposal
and post the bz numbers here. Each one of us can then add comments, as
they come to mind.

Thanks for your suggestions. :-)

Alan.