[elrepo-devel] kmod packaging cleanup for rhel-6

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jul 31 09:50:23 EDT 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Farkas Levente wrote:

Not going into detail of your complete post.

I'd like to point out that the case for Fedora is not the same case for
RHEL. With Fedora every kernel may have incompatibilities and therefore
it's essential that every kmod is rebuilt for every kernel and should be
able to coexist.

This means yum/apt need to allow to have several versions of the same kmod
installed, and it should understand when to update kmod's when a new
kernel is installed.

For RHEL we can provide a single kmod that works for multiple kernels (in
the best case, all kernels). And therefor it makes it very simple. Only
one RPM needs to be installed, and if a newer is available it can be
updated, just like normal packages.

This last case is not completely true, there are cases where a newer kmod
can be incompatible with one or more older kernels. But having a single
kmod package is a big advantage.

Now, what I always prefered to have is a kmod-build infrastructure that is
smart enough to test a kmod for compatibility with all (installed) kernels
and packages multiple versions of a kernel module (.ko) into a single RPM
package. For RHEL that could mean that it ships 3 .ko files, and
weak-modules would automatically symlink the correct .ko file for the
correct kernel.

For Fedora, this could work as well, if it is made clear how many
(older) kernels the project is willing to support _and_ if such a kmod RPM
package doesn't become too big (think about ELRepo's alsa or video4linux
kmod RPM).

But the advantage would be that a stable kABI is not that important
because a single kmod RPM package would simply support current and older
kernels by default. For newer kernels of course it may be necessary to
provide an updated kmod RPM in the worst case. Which is acceptable and not
different from now, the benefit would be that the old kernel would still
be supported as well.