[elrepo] request for updated sis190 driver

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Aug 8 08:40:19 EDT 2009

Del wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but the ELRepo web page
> says this list is to "make suggestions for new packages".
>
> The sis190 driver supplied with the current Linux kernel is relatively
> unstable.  It doesn't work reliably unless the ethernet MTU is lowered
> to 1492, and it doesn't work at all in the x86_64 kernel.  A patch to
> solve the general instability problem went into the 2.6.24 kernel (or
> thereabouts), and a patch to solve the x86_64 kernel has recently been
> posted to the kernel git tree.
>
> Is there any chance that elrepo could host an updated version of this
> driver?  The chipset is found in an increasing number of low-end
> notebook and subnotebook machines.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about extracting a driver from the kernel git
> tree and compiling / installing / packaging it against the current EL
> kernel myself so if someone can help out that'd be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Del

Hi Del,

I've done a backport of this driver and uploaded it to the
elrepo-testing repository.

I backported the driver from the latest upstream source
(kernel-2.6.31-rc5). Most patches were OK and only a couple were left
out for build compatibility. The driver supports sis190/191 Gigabit
Ethernet Controller.

Please test this driver and report feedback here. There is also a target
for it on http://www.elrepo.org/bugs (under elrepo) should you need to
report any issues. I'm unable to test it's functionality given I don't
have the hardware.

Thanks,

Phil