[elrepo] RTL 8187B driver

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Aug 8 08:44:37 EDT 2009

>>> http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/rtl8187b-drivers-and-patches/
>>> http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/linux-on-the-satellite-a215-s7407/
>>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl8187
>>>
>>> Hopefully someone can make use of this information and bring this driver
>>> into ELRepo.
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>>
>>> Del
>> I had a very quick look at this one, and the current mainline kernel
>> source doesn't build out of tree against EL5.3. Looks like it might be a
>> bit of work to backport a working driver.
>
> OK.
>
>> Again, could you please test the latest testing kernel from Red Hat just
>> to check it's not been backported for EL5.4.
>
> Have done, no luck.
>
> The current kernel has a driver for the RTL8187 but not RTL8187B
> chipsets.  The USB bus sees the hardware but the driver mistakenly
> identifies it as an RTL8180 and doesn't bring up the network interface.
>
> There are some patches the the driver that's in 2.6.24 to make it work
> for RTL8187B but I'm not sure how easy it would be to backport those
> patches to 2.6.18.
>
> Del

OK, thanks for the feedback and info.

I'll start having a proper look at this next week unless anyone else
jumps in to take ownership beforehand. Not making any promises we'll be
able to get a working driver though, but we'll give it a go :)

One further thing - does this driver need any additional firmware? If
so, a link to that would be great.

Regards,

Phil