[elrepo] request for updated sis190 driver

Del del at babel.com.au
Mon Aug 17 04:37:16 EDT 2009

> I've done a backport of this driver and uploaded it to the
> elrepo-testing repository.
>
> I backported the driver from the latest upstream source
> (kernel-2.6.31-rc5). Most patches were OK and only a couple were left
> out for build compatibility. The driver supports sis190/191 Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller.
>
> Please test this driver and report feedback here. There is also a target
> for it on http://www.elrepo.org/bugs (under elrepo) should you need to
> report any issues. I'm unable to test it's functionality given I don't
> have the hardware.

No joy with this unfortunately.

Two issues.  The first was that with the driver you've backported, the
system comes up OK and brings up the link to the ethernet hub, but a few
seconds after it issues a DHCP request the machine locks up hard,
requiring a power cycle to restart it.

I'm not sure where to go from there in terms of debugging.

The second issue is that the machine generally has proven to be unstable
with the 64 bit OS loaded.  Lots of crashes, file systems suddenly
becoming read-only and requiring a fsck on reboot, etc.  I've gone back
to the 32 bit OS for the time being.  That's probably unrelated to the
network driver.

--
Del
Babel Com Australia