[elrepo] Trying to install Sierra "TRU-Install" patch for 3G air card

Jeff Phillips jeffp at jeffszone.com
Mon Dec 28 14:16:01 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Akemi Yagi <toracat at elrepo.org> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> We talked a bit on #centos-social.
>
> The first thing to do is to get the vendor:device ID pairings of your
> hardware.  Please take a look at:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs
>
> and identify the IDs and see if they are listed under sierra.ko.
>
> Akemi / toracat

The Sierra Wireless USB 598 is recognized as 1199:0025 which is listed
under sierra.ko. I'm getting the impression that sierra.ko installed
the drivers to use the modem, but the USB device itself is recognized
as flash memory without this TRU-install patch the manufacturer
provides:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/Software/Linux/patch-2-6-18-swoc-unusualdevs.zip
http://sierrawireless.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/500

I opened up the patch & looked at it. Looks pretty simple, but I don't
know where to put it:

+/* Reported by Kevin Lloyd <linux at sierrawireless.com>
+ * Entry is needed for the initializer function override,
+ * which instructs the device to load as a modem
+ * device.
+ */
+UNUSUAL_DEV(  0x1199, 0x0fff, 0x0000, 0x9999,
+		"Sierra Wireless",
+		"USB MMC Storage",
+		US_SC_DEVICE, US_PR_DEVICE, NULL,
+		US_FL_IGNORE_DEVICE),