[elrepo] [CentOS] NTFS and elrepo

Akemi Yagi toracat at elrepo.org
Mon Nov 2 01:25:46 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Ron Loftin <reloftin at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 18:19 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> One possibility is that the ntfs module was built with the 'write'
>> mode disabled.  I'm not sure if I tested the module with respect to
>> writing to the NTFS partition.

I just booted a laptop that has Windows and attempted to write to a
NTFS partition and got the same permission problem as what you saw.  I
also checked the code in kmod-ntfs.  The write option is apparently
enabled.  I need to wait for Alan for confirmation though.

> Well, when you're checking into this, I suggest that, if possible, you
> have the output of the "mount" command indicate the RW/RO status
> correctly.  That is at the least misleading, when "mount" claims RW
> capability, while the module is in read-only mode.

Well, the mount command shows what it was told to display - in this
case, it was mounted with the "rw" option.  The driver has to be
corrected to do the right thing.

But we need to look into the matter in more details.

Akemi