[elrepo] [CentOS] NTFS and elrepo

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Mon Nov 2 08:33:55 EST 2009

2009/11/2 Akemi Yagi <toracat at elrepo.org>:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
>> 2009/11/2 Akemi Yagi <toracat at elrepo.org>:
>
>>> I just booted a laptop that has Windows and attempted to write to a
>>> NTFS partition and got the same permission problem as what you saw.  I
>>> also checked the code in kmod-ntfs.  The write option is apparently
>>> enabled.  I need to wait for Alan for confirmation though.
>
>> As I do not use any version of Windoze and have no means of checking
>> this, I must assume that what is being observed is a result of the
>> intrinsic restrictions mentioned above.
>>
>> Akemi -- Would you be able to test this please?
>>
>> Alan.
>
> Yes, I did test it as noted in my earlier response and I was not able
> to write to the NTFS partition.

Yes, I noticed that. I was wondering if you could test the write
functionality within the limits as defined in the second paragraph of
my second quote from the kernel Kconfig file.

> With your confirmation that the write
> option is indeed enabled in our module, I now don't really know what
> to look for.  One thing I can try is to rebuild the kernel with the
> ntfs support and see if the in-kernel module behaves the same (it
> should, right?).

In theory if the CentOS-Plus kernel did have NTFS support configured
(as it used to have), a simple boot of that kernel would then be
expected to show the same characteristics as the kmod.

Alan.