[elrepo] kmod-coretemp

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Oct 19 06:31:15 EDT 2009

Simon Wilson wrote:
> I notice from various reading that the TJunction max varies between
> various processors in the Core2 Duo range.
>
> I have just put an e6850 into my CentOS box, installed lm_sensors
> 2.10.8 and kmod-coretemp. The coretemp output at idle is as follows:
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 0:      +26°C  (high =  +100°C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0001
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 1:      +32°C  (high =  +100°C)
>
> The tJunction-max for my G0 stepping E6850 is 90°C. Where does the
> coretemp driver get the 100°C high value from? There is no coretemp
> section in sensors.conf... Is it programmed into the driver?
>
> The system's (it8718 driven) CPU temp (tCase I assume) is 24°C at the
> same time as the above reading.
>
> Just want to make sure that I'm monitoring the right values...

Hi Simon,

Yes, TjMax is hard coded in the code for each processor family. It's
either 100C or 85C depending on the processor model. I do note that some
recent commits to the code were made at the end of last month, including
support for Atom processors that appear to have a TjMac of 90C, so it is
quite possible that your processor also has this value. Some mobile
Penryn CPUs also appear to now use a TjMac of 90C.

Let me backport these updates to our driver in elrepo and then lets see
how that affects support for your chip. I'll do my best to get that done
this week. If it's still definitely not right, then we can look to
develop (and test) a patch to submit upstream at kernel.org.

Regards,

Phil