[elrepo] Announcement: EL5 New ATI (fglrx) drivers now available for testing

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Dec 14 01:39:29 EST 2010

On 14/12/10 03:44, gilesaj wrote:
> Hi
>
> I left out the part
> rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-5-1.el5.elrepo.noarch.rpm
>

> I have installed the fix and I am rebooting, typing this on a Windows PC as I do
> not have mail setup on the Linux box.
>

>   When Linux booted back up I looked in the display and it was still using the
> vesa driver.  I changed it over to the "fglrx - Vendor-supplied driver for fglrx
> cards"
>
> I logged out of root and logged back in and in the display theVideo Card came up
> as Unknown but using the "fglrx - Vendor-supplied driver for fglrx cards"
> driver.
>
> Now to see that it is working I started BOINC which detected the card and as ATI
> Radeon HD 4700/4800 which is great as up till now it did not recognise it.
>
> I attached to a project that uses the GPU on the video card to crunch work
> "dnetc.net"  and the card was recognised and the application and work was
> downloaded.
>
> The first work packet aborted because I did not have librarylibaticalrt.so but
> that is not a driver problem I just need to find out how to get that library.
>
> I can't find out where to get this from.  There is a lot on Google about
> "Compute Abstraction Layer (CAL) but I don't want to load something that is
> going to stuff up my system ??
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Giles

Hi Giles,

libaticalrt.so is provided by the package in /usr/lib{64}/fglrx/ so it
looks more like a case that your BOINC application is looking for it in
another place. Can you please show the exact error message.

Can you try creating a symlink from /usr/lib{64} to it and see if that
fixes the issue.

I assume from your previous message you are running on x86_64? Can you
confirm if your BOINC application is 32-bit or 64-bit? If it's 32-bit
then you will also need the fglrx-x11-drv-32bit package that installs
the 32-bit compatability libs in /usr/lib/fglrx.

Thanks.