[elrepo] Fglrx package hangs my computer?

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sat Dec 25 08:50:25 EST 2010

On 25 December 2010 11:34, Nikki Locke <nikki at trumphurst.com> wrote:
> I got round to installing the fglrx el-repo package yesterday -
<snip>
> However, yesterday my computer hung. The mouse cursor still
> worked, but clicking on stuff did nothing, and the keyboard did
> nothing either (I tried Ctrl-Alt-Arrow to go to different
> desktop, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X, Ctrl-Alt-Del -
> nothing).
<snip>
> Today, while trying to write my Christmas emails, it hung again.
> I reset again, and a few minutes later it hung again. I reset,
> uninstalled the fglrx driver, recompiled the ATI-supplied one,
> and restarted. Everything has been fine since.
>
> I realise this is not a proven bug (it might be coincidence), and
> I haven't provided enough detail. However, I'm not sure what
> detail I should provide for a proper bug report, or whether this
> is the right place to report it. Suggestions welcome.

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for mentioning your experiences. What I would recommend you do
is to open a bug report at the ELRepo Project's bug tracker [1]
against this package. In your report, please detail all relevant
information that is known -- hardware video controller (version /
revision / chipset), kernel (version), software executing when the
hang occurred (repeatable?), etc and also attach a copy of your
xorg.conf file, plus the output of a "ls -l $(find /lib/modules -name
fglrx.ko | grep -E 'extra|weak')".

Then, when further information is discovered, it can be added to that report.

Please be assured that your problem is noted and that Phil (the
package maintainer) will look at all the information you supply.

Alan.

[1] http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php