[elrepo] Kernel-ml Packages for EL6

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Aug 5 13:43:54 EDT 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Alan Bartlett wrote:

> On 4 August 2011 20:59, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
>
>> Now another request for your input, please. What should I do with the
>> kernel-ml-firmware package? If you cannot immediately see the
>> significance of my question, consider what I had to do with the
>> kernel-headers for EL5. No doubt our friendly RPM packaging guru, Dag
>> Wieers, will make a few comments but I would like all of you so
>> interested to discuss it here, please. If I do not join in the
>> discussion, or otherwise respond, please be aware that I will still be
>> following the proceedings with interest. My ultimate choice will be as
>> a result of your deliberations.
>
> My latest status update.
>
> All is well in the kernel-ml spec file up to and including the one
> line following the call of the "clean" macro. What remains to be done?
> The requisite "post", "preun" and "files" sections.
>
> Any views on the kernel-ml-firmware package, as mentioned yesterday?
> Or do you all intend to give me "free rein" and then criticise what I
> ultimately provide? :)

I don't think there's much we can do, like kernel-headers. Either update,
or conflict. But since we don't expect the kernel-ml to be an upgrade
path, I would make it conflicting (and thus a manual step).

There is a big difference between kernel-headers and kernel-firmware in
the sense that newer firmware may not work with older kernels, or older
firmware may fail with newer kernels. But if that's the case it's not
designed very well (the aim is to be able to have multiple kernels that
can be booted at all times, right ?)

In any case, users are on their own so I wouldn't make it easy to install
kernel-ml-firmware (and hard to go back), I prefer to make it hard to
install (and hard to go back ;-)). What do others think ?