[elrepo] [EG20T] Support for RHEL5 planned?

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Aug 15 14:23:28 EDT 2011

On 15/08/11 14:30, Gerhart, Bjoern wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I'm using CentOS 5 and am in need of supporting the Ethernet controller which is part of the Intel Controller Hub EG20T. In later kernel versions a module named "pch_gbe" does drive this controller (whose vendor:device ID is 8086:8802).
>
> Does anyone else on this list need this support or maybe even is already about to backport the pch_gbe module or another solution?

Hi,

After a quick look, Alan informs me that the pch_gbe driver module first
appeared in kernel-2.6.37.

Normally for Intel drivers we have packaged the drivers provided by
Intel on their website, but in this case we haven't been able to readily
identify any. Do you know if Intel provides are driver directly for this
NIC?

If not, then we can certainly look at backporting the current kernel
driver although that route is almost always more difficult depending how
easy it is to compile the driver out of tree.

Anyway, if you have a need then we will do our best to support it.

Regards,

Phil