[elrepo] Announcement: EL5 Updated kernel-ml Release [Version 2.6.37-0.3.el5.elrepo]

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Feb 14 16:47:16 EST 2011

On 14/02/11 21:15, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 03:08 PM, Nikki Locke wrote:
>> Oh rats! If I had know that, I probably wouldn't have started down
>> this road.
>>
>> I guess I just have to finally give in, and accept that my brand new
>> USB3.0 disk is not suitable for use on Linux, and I should install it
>> on a Windows machine instead :-(
>>
>> Would you be able to explain the logic of el-repo kmod packages not
>> supporting the el-repo kernels?
>>
>> Nikki
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org
>> <mailto:phil at elrepo.org>> wrote:

>> kernel-ml-devel

>> > Duh!
>> >
>> > Thanks - that's sorted it.
>> >
>> > Next question - will the el-repo fglrx load into the new kernel
>> automatically
>> > (I have it doing so on the stock kernel)?
>> >

> If you are using kernel-ml-2.6.37-0.3.el5.elrepo.i686.rpm it should have
> all the latest and
> greatest drivers shouldn't it?

Yes to the USB3 drivers, but no for proprietary drivers such as those
from ATI (fglrx) that Nikki was referring to.

BTW, Akemi found an interesting thread on kerneltrap here between Sarah
Sharp who wrote and maintains the xHCI driver (USB3) in the Linux kernel
and Don Zickus who is a senior kernel engineer with Red Hat:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2010/7/16/6262852/thread