[elrepo] kmod-drbd83-8.3.10-1.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm - no kmod inside

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Feb 19 16:19:22 EST 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Phil Perry wrote:

> On 19/02/11 16:20, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
>> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>  wrote:
>>> On 02/19/2011 05:29 PM, Rainer Traut wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Rainer and Manuel.  We will look into the problem.
>
> it seems the default make modules_install stopped working for some
> reason, so no modules got installed to the buildroot nor packaged.
>
> Thanks very much for reporting the issue.

Apart from the cause (and obvious ways to prevent the same thing from
happening) it's an interesting case in the discussion of the promotion of
packages from testing to elrepo.

What's the use of having the package for 2 weeks in testing, if it is only
ever used when it hits elrepo. The only effect is that our packages are 2
weeks late with no obvious benefits.

This obviously changes my view on the automated promotion and the need for
a testing repository, unless we can change the dynamics (although I don't
see any obvious ways to make people use testing).

My current thought is to only push packages to testing if there is a known
need for testing, or if there's an established set of testers. (Some
organisations use these packages, but the testing only happens when it
fits their planning, and not ours, unfortunately)