[elrepo] Kernel panic using recent kernels

Miguel Alvarez miguellvrz9 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:11:18 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:

> On 28 February 2011 18:26, Miguel Alvarez <miguellvrz9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just installed kernel-ml-2.6.37-1.el5.elrepo on my HP DL-380 G7 (also
> G6
> > with same results) and when it comes up, the system kernel panics in the
> > ramdisk.  Looks like there are four modules that exist in my stock
> > kernel-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 ramdisk that don't exist in 2.6.37:
> >
> > dm-region_hash.ko
> > dm-mem-cache.ko
> > dm-message.ko
> > dm-raid45.ko
> >
> > I didn't see any new device-mapper packages in the repo so is there
> > something else that I'm missing or need to update?
>
> Hi Miguel,
>
> I currently don't have access to my el5 system that is running
> kernel-ml-2.6.35-11.el5.elrepo, so I am relying on memory. ;-)
>
> Please boot up the current distro kernel (-194.32.1.el5, if CentOS, or
> -238.1.1.el5, if RHEL) and go to the /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/
> directory. Do you have a file name "dmraid"? If not, create one with
> one line contents:
>
> DMRAID=no
>
> The file should be UID/GID == root, with mode == 755.
>
> Now go to the /boot directory and re-make the initrd for the
> 2.6.37-1.el5.elrepo kernel. If I've remembered the details correctly,
> that should solve the problem.
>
> It might also be worthwhile adding:
>
> nodmraid
>
> to the kernel boot parameters. (Via the line in your /etc/grub.conf file.)
>
> Regards,
> Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.  I created the file, ensured perms/ownership,
re-created the ramdisk and added the 'nodmraid' boot option.  Unfortunately,
I'm still panicing.    It looks like it's an issue detecting lvm volumes
(see attached screenshots).

When 2.6.18 boots, it scans for logical volumes and finds the "VolGroup00"
VG.  When 2.6.37 boots, it scans but is unable to find anything and
naturally panic shortly thereafter.  Any ideas?

Thanks again