[elrepo] Upgrading OpenAFS Packages tp 1.6

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 27 16:09:24 EDT 2011

Folks,

I support the OpenAFS packages currently in ELRepo.  At this point
OpenAFS version 1.4.14.1 is available for RHEL 6.  Very soon the OpenAFS
community will release 1.6.x, the next stable series.  When that happens
I'd like to upgrade the RHEL 6 packages here to 1.6.x.  But before I did
so I wanted to make sure folks had a chance to comment.

I'm also concerned that the OpenAFS community will not support 1.4.x
much past the release of 1.6.x and that RHEL 6 has still quite a few
years of life yet.  Also, most folks I've worked with are very
interested in making use of the new features of the newer client.  (Its
quite a bit faster, supports disconnected mode, etc.)

I'm quite sure I can arrange an upgrade that will be transparent for
folks that use OpenAFS clients.  For OpenAFS servers folks will want to
be sure to restart their servers after the upgrade.

The plan will be to have the 1.6.x packages in the testing repository
for an extended period.  This allows us to fully test the upgrade and
give feedback before the new packages go into the stable repository.

Thanks,
Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>