[elrepo] package suggestion: USB DisplayLink drivers and X11 driver

covert at mighty.sytes.net covert at mighty.sytes.net
Thu Jun 9 14:25:35 EDT 2011

Hi,

I just joined the list, so my apologies if I am posting this to the wrong
place.

I have been using the drivers from ELRepo on my RHEL / CentOS / SL
machines for a while, and it has really been a great help.  Thanks much to
the developers.  (I have some machines with r8168 cards, and I don't think
I would have ever got them reliable without ELRepo)

I joined the mailing list though to make a suggestion for a set of drivers
to add to the repo:  USB DisplayLink drivers and X11 drivers.

These are the standard drivers that allow you to plugin a USB video card,
or sometimes a USB video card + monitor combo, into a machine, and use X11
with that monitor.

The URL for this work is here:
http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/

The drivers have been integrated into more recent kernels.  The suggestion
is to include both the kernel and X11 drivers (similar to ATI / Nvidia
drivers)

These drivers can be used to allow an administrator to login, with X11, to
a "headless" box.  By walking up to a set of headless rack mounted servers,
you can plug a USB hub into the front jack, and start X11 remotely the the
newly plugged in terminal.  Video, Keyboard, and Mouse all go through USB,
meaning there is no need to get to the back of the machine to attach a
monitor.  This could be very handy for certain circumstances.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Greg