[elrepo] package suggestion: USB DisplayLink drivers and X11 driver

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sun Jun 12 10:27:06 EDT 2011

On 12/06/11 04:45, Covert wrote:
>    On 6/10/11 10:51 AM, Phil Perry wrote:
>> Great. Lets start with el6 and we can migrate the packages to el5 later
>> if possible.
>>
> OK -- sounds good.
>
>> OK, I did quickly scan that page yesterday. I'm not particularly keen to
>> mess with GDM, at least in an elrepo sense. Is this still useful if
>> elrepo just provides the kernel and X11 drivers?
>>
> I do think its still useful without the backported GDM.  I agree that
> elrepo should only provide the kernel and X11 drivers.
>> To kick off the development effort, it would be useful if you could get
>> it up and running on your system built from source so you know exactly
>> what's required for it to work. You would then be able to advise us
>> better on packaging the components. But if it's a big deal, don't worry
>> - I think we probably have enough to attempt a first build and we can
>> take it from there.
>>
> OK -- I'll recompile the udlfb driver and the X11 driver, and see if I
> can get them working with an extended desktop configuration
>> Thanks.
>>
>> OK, I propose we start by attempting to backport the official kernel
>> udlfb driver from the upstream kernel as a kmod package and also package
>> the accompanying X11 drivers, for el6.
>>
>> My next problem is a shortage of time atm due to work commitments. Does
>> anyone want to pick this up and run with it, or I can hopefully make a
>> start sometime over the next couple weeks. If I pick it up,
>> realistically it's not going to get done in the next week :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phil
> Once I get the drivers recompiled myself, I'll report back here.  And if
> anyone does get around to creating elrepo versions, I will definitely test.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Hi Greg,

I have managed to backport the upstream udlfb code from kernel-3.0-rc2
for RHEL6 and got it to compile cleanly after a few fixes:

[buildsys at rhel6b64 tmp-mod]$ make modules
make -C src/ modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64/build
SUBDIRS=/home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64'
   CC [M]  /home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src/udlfb.o
   Building modules, stage 2.
   MODPOST 1 modules
   CC      /home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src/udlfb.mod.o
   LD [M]  /home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src/udlfb.ko.unsigned
   NO SIGN [M] /home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src/udlfb.ko
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/buildsys/tmp-mod/src'

Unfortunately it looks like more of a challenge on RHEL5. I did also try
the displaylink-mod code and that does compile relatively cleanly on
RHEL5, so if we decide to port this to RHEL5 we might need to consider
that option.

I hope to get the udlfb kernel module (kmod) packaged and uploaded later
today so you could start testing that with the X11 drivers if you are
able to compile those from source. I'll start work on those as and when
I get time, but unlikely to be before next weekend at the earliest.

Regards,

Phil