[elrepo] package suggestion: USB DisplayLink drivers and X11 driver

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Fri Jun 17 07:07:51 EDT 2011

On 17/06/11 03:25, Covert wrote:
> On 06/16/2011 09:28 PM, Covert wrote:
>>
>> Thanks a lot. I'm going to download the X11 drivers now, compile them,
>> and see how that goes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg
>>

> Well, that didn't take me too long. I installed the prereqs and
> everything I thought I would need, but when I try to compile the X11
> drivers, I'm missing required files:
>
> libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -fvisibility=hidden
> -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -g -O2 -MT displaylink.lo
> -MD -MP -MF .deps/displaylink.Tpo -c displaylink.c -fPIC -DPIC -o
> .libs/displaylink.o
> displaylink.c:49:27: error: xf86Resources.h: No such file or directory
> displaylink.c:50:21: error: xf86RAC.h: No such file or directory
> displaylink.c: In function ‘DisplayLinkPreInit’:
> displaylink.c:285: error: ‘struct _ScrnInfoRec’ has no member named
> ‘racMemFlags’
> displaylink.c:285: error: ‘RAC_FB’ undeclared (first use in this function)
> displaylink.c:285: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> displaylink.c:285: error: for each function it appears in.)
> displaylink.c:285: error: ‘RAC_COLORMAP’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> displaylink.c:285: error: ‘RAC_CURSOR’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> displaylink.c:285: error: ‘RAC_VIEWPORT’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> displaylink.c:287: error: ‘struct _ScrnInfoRec’ has no member named
> ‘racIoFlags’
>

> I used "yum provides" to try to find said files, but they're not in any
> packages.
>
> But -- it might not matter. It looks like maybe this driver isn't
> actually required any more -- as there is a "generic" X11 driver for
> framebuffer devices: xorg-x11-drv-fbdev
>
> Maybe its just been a while since they updated the wiki -- but it looks
> as though that is the driver I should be using with X11.
>
> That would mean that now that the driver is installed and loaded, and
> the framebuffer driver is already in the SL repo, I should just have
> configuring to get stuff working. It also means that there is nothing
> else that's required to go into elrepo!
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Hi Greg,

Good news the kernel driver is "working" as expected.

WRT the errors above, neither of the two missing header files
(xf86Resources.h & xf86RAC.h) are part of the distro so one would think
they must be part of the displaylink package(s). The rest of errors all
relate to undeclared functions, possible declared in the two missing
headers.

Yum shows me that xorg-x11-drv-fbdev-0.4.2-1.el6 is available (an older
version is also available on el5 too). If that's all that is required,
that would be great.

Once you have this working, if you are interested in documenting case
uses for this driver (with example configs), we'd be happy to provide
you some space on the elrepo Wiki to do so or link to any guide
elsewhere - just a thought :-)

I'll leave it with you for the time being to see how you get on trying
the distro xorg-x11-drv-fbdev driver and we'll take it from there.

Regards,

Phil