[elrepo] RHEL 6 GMA 500 (Poulsbo)

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue May 10 17:00:17 EDT 2011

On 10/05/11 19:12, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Rob ter Linden<rxshorty at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Well I only know it is a real pain to get it running.
>>
>> I had Ubuntu running on my Sony and it worked pretty well, but company
>> policies say I need RHEL.
>> Ubuntu url about this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345
>>
>> Sorry can't help you any more because I am not a programmer or such.
>> Thanks for your quick reply!
>>
>> Rob
>
> That link led me to:
>
> http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/08/10/intel-gma500-poulsbo-on-fedora-11-repository-with-working-3d-compiz-support/

and previously there was this page too:

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/05/13/native-poulsbo-gma-500-graphics-driver-for-fedora-10/

This driver appears to be an Intel proprietary driver containing some
binary blobs and pre-compiled X11 components, similar maybe to the
proprietary nvidia and ATI drivers?

> and then (after a few steps)  to:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/429206/
> http://lwn.net/Articles/429205/

And this seems to be a completely different open source driver in the
staging area of the kernel, but is 2D only with no hardware acceleration.

The first (proprietary) option looks like a lot of work and potentially
quite difficult, especially without the hardware in question. If you
(you == someone with the appropriate hardware) can get the driver
compiled and working, I'm sure we could then package it with your
assistance, but you will need to do a lot of the initial work.

The second looks like a potentially simpler option but I have no idea
how that will pan out or if it will be feasible to backport.

Even if someone bought me a laptop with this chipset, I'm still not sure
I'd want to take this on.

Regards,

Phil