[elrepo] bizarre issue with latest nvidia driver and kvm

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Oct 11 16:06:28 EDT 2011

On 11/10/11 20:54, Joe Pruett wrote:
> it seems that 285 is a pre-release, so maybe it should be moved to
> elrepo-testing?

Version 285.05.09 was officially released as a certified release on 5th
October, 2011. See here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-285.05.09-driver.html

The information at the nvidia support forums that still show it as a
pre-release is out of date (which is unusual - they are normally pretty
good and posting updates).

Elrepo.org doesn't normally publicly release pre-releases or beta
releases of nvidia drivers. We do sometimes build them as part of our
ongoing internal development and testing process, and we can release
them if there's a specific need (bug), but we'd rather stick only with
the official releases.

> so far my kvm guest under 280 is happy, so i think this is the actual
> problem.

So this looks like a bug introduced in the 285 release. At least rpm
makes it relatively easy to downgrade :-)