[elrepo] Ubuntu's driver Jockey

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu Oct 27 14:11:52 EDT 2011

On 27/10/11 18:46, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see some guys managed to port Ubuntu's driver Jockey to Fedora. Would it
> be possible to adopt it in Elrepo for EL6? It would benefit most desktop
> users that have to use drivers from elrepo. I was going to undertake this
> myself, but you're much more qualified than I am.. and since it concerns
> drivers, I thought "hey, maybe elrepo can do it" :D
>
> What do you think?
>
> http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/10/update-proprietary-software-drivers.html
> http://hedayatvk.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/try-jockey-on-fedora-and-parsidora-15/
> http://parsidora.sourceforge.net/releases/15/repos/parsidora/SRPMS/

So is this just another graphical front-end installer for our existing
packages?

My own personal opinion - I'm struggling to see the point. I can't
really imagine what could be much easier than 'yum install kmod-nvidia'
or 'yum update', but then I still recall with anguish battling with that
hideous up2date GUI updater back in the RHL days.