[elrepo] Consultation: Kernel-ml Packages for EL6

Trevor Hemsley themsley at voiceflex.com
Fri Feb 3 12:36:47 EST 2012

Alan Bartlett wrote:
> It has recently been suggested to me that the ELRepo Project should
> now provide a kernel-ml package set based on the long-term support
> linux-3.0.x series rather than the linux-2.6.39.y series.
>
> Having mulled it over for a while, it does make sense to me and so I
> have "smiled" at that suggestion. Before I go ahead and implement it,
> which will eventually result in the deprecation of the
> kernel-ml-2.6.39-4.2.el6.elrepo package set, I would like to hear
> opinions / comments from the ELRepo user-base.

I'm not currently using the kernel-ml -package but am running 3.2.1 on
CentOS 5.7.

I'm fairly sure that you will need to rename it to 2.6.x.x before you
can use it as the userspace tools in C5 make assumptions about 2.4 vs
2.6 based on the 2.6 part of the version number. My 3.2.1 is currently
running successfully as 2.6.42.1 and the only thing that I've found
that's broken so far is coretemp which now creates files called
cpu[234]_input and cpu[11-13]_input and many of the userspace tools
break because they are looking for cpu1_input and barf when it does not
exist.

3.2.2 came out the day after I built mine :-(