[elrepo] el6 and intel sandy bridge graphics

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:07:22 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:02:43PM -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Matt Garman wrote on 01/16/2012 12:22 PM:
> > Anyway, just wanted to give some feedback of using the "testing"
> > packages related to Sandy Bridge graphics.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> P.S. Another success report from the CentOS forum:
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=35269&forum=57

I just thought I'd add... the link to the mesa patch I mentioned was
posted to the mythtv-users thread:

    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-January/017412.html

I downloaded the "testing" EL6 mesa source rpm, applied the patch to
the included mesa snapshot (quicker/easier for me than messing
around with patches and the spec file), and rebuilt.  Now opengl
rendering works without issue in MythTV.

I don't know if you're interested in including the patch in the
elrepo mesa build or not.  But in case you are, there it is.

Of course I've only done a couple days of testing, but the results
so far are encouraging; I'll keep the list posted if there are any
new developments as I put this media PC to more use.  I've been
eagerly awaiting the day Intel's Sandy Bridge graphics would "just
work" on Linux, and in particular, on CentOS.  Other than applying
this patch, looks like it's now a reality.

Thank you to the elrepo team for all the hard work and effort you've
put into the intel graphics drivers (and kernel-ml as well).  I
appreciate it!

-Matt