[elrepo] Question about kernel-ml

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sat Mar 17 18:40:05 EDT 2012

On 17 March 2012 21:09, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help.  And on the week-end, too!!!

<snip>

> Yes, you are correct.  I double checked (tried again to boot into
> kernel-ml) and it was a series of "oops".

<snip>

> Yes, you are correct again.  I removed the 2.6.39 version and then
> installed the 2.6.35 version and it does seem to working fine.

<snip>

> Thanks for all your help.

You're welcome, Joe.

If the 2.6.35-14.1.el5.elrepo package set proves to be sufficient for
your purposes, then I would be tempted to file the multi-oops event of
the kernel-ml-2.6.39-4.1.el5.elrepo under the heading of "One of
Life's Little Mysteries" . . .

For the records, I regularly use kernel-ml-2.6.35-14.1.el5.elrepo with
my workstation. I can use the 2.6.39-4.1 variety but it will "grumble"
at me upon boot. I regards that as more of a hint that the 13+ year
old hardware upon which it has been invited to execute is extremely
"trailing edge".

Regards,
Alan.