[elrepo] Headers question

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Tue Mar 20 17:05:42 EDT 2012

On 20.03.2012 21:12, Joe Henley wrote:

<snip>

> I'm trying to get a newly purchased Hauppauge hd-pvr working in MythTV
> so I need a very new hdpvr driver (part of linuxtv's v4l-dvb drivers).
> Looks like I'm going to have to use the git version of those drivers
> (because the hardware/firmware is so new).  I am able to install the
> kernel-ml-devel files, but not the kernel-ml-headers.
>
> I get a yum error about the kernel-ml-headers-2.6.35-14.1.el5.elrepo
> conflicting with the kernel-headers-2.6.18-308.1.1.el5 (which is my
> "production" kernel).  So I can't load the ml header files.

That's correct. You don't need to have the kernel-ml-headers package
installed because you are not rebuilding glibc and, thus, the entire
OS.

To successfully build *any* package against *any* EL kernel (be it
distro or ELRepo Project supplied), you only need to have the relevant
kernel development package installed. Strictly speaking, you do not
even need to have the *target* kernel installed . . .

Alan.