[elrepo] kernel/kernel-lts separation

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Wed Oct 10 14:29:14 EDT 2012

Yawn! Who woke me up by mentioning my name? Hmm . . .

I'm going to advertise my ignorance -- for what does the 'LTS'
abbreviation stand, please?

I've just been over to kernel.org and this is what I've seen --

[quote]
Latest Stable Kernel:    3.6.1

stable: 	3.6.1
mainline: 	3.6
stable: 	3.5.6
stable: 	3.4.13
stable: 	3.3.8 (EOL)
stable: 	3.2.31
stable: 	3.0.45
stable: 	2.6.34.13
stable: 	2.6.32.60
linux-next: 	next-20121010
[/quote]

What I am currently supporting for EL6 --

In brief, the 3.0 series and the (latest) 3.6 series. Any evidence you
have for the 3.5 series is purely an artefact that currently exists
for the newly established archival process. Once those packages have
been archived appropriately, one of my colleagues will withdraw them
from the repository

What I currently have available for EL5 --

The last version which would support a fully functioning Gnome GUI,
2.6.35.14 and the last series before 3.0 appeared, that is 2.6.39.4
The sources for those package sets are no longer supported upstream
and so they remain for historical purposes.

What I am currently supporting for EL5 --

Just the 3.0 series. (I asked a question [1] with regards to a
possible newer package set and have noted the response.)

Alan.

[1] http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo-devel/2012-October/000531.html