[elrepo] Kernel-lt and the Future

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Aug 5 19:22:40 EDT 2013

On 05/08/13 23:56, Nux! wrote:
> On 05.08.2013 22:35, Alan Bartlett wrote:
>> As you know, the ELRepo Project has regularly released a kernel-lt
>> (long term supported) package set for both enterprise Linux 5 and 6.
>> These kernels have been based on the linux-3.0.X stable branch.
>>
>> The linux-3.0.X stable branch will be reaching end of life this coming
>> October [1][2] and a decision will have to be made with regards to the
>> future of the kernel-lt package sets that we provide.
>
> Looking at the web pages you recommended, I see that the kernel 3.2 will
> be supported till 2016, I guess it makes sense to make that the next LT.
>
> No matter what's decided, thank you in advance for the effort. :)
>
> Lucian

As many might be aware, Greg KH just announced he will be supporting
3.10 for two years as a LTS kernel, which should take us into late 2015:

http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2013/08/04/longterm-kernel-3-dot-10/

This seems like a better choice for el6 to me as it provides a good
balance between its supported lifetime and the relative age of the
kernel. For example, in some ways 3.2 is already outdated as, for
example, RH backported the wireless stack from kernel-3.5 into RHEL6_4,
so here a 3.2 release would be a step backwards. Assuming 3.10 doesn't
introduce other issues.