[elrepo] Kernel-lt and the Future

Akemi Yagi toracat at elrepo.org
Fri Aug 9 12:20:09 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/13 20:36, Alan Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> On 8 August 2013 16:45, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> For Enterprise Linux 5, I shall base its kernel-lt package set on the
>>> linux-3.2 branch. I have rather abruptly 'bumped' the configuration
>>> files and have the first release candidate package set available for
>>> testing.
>>

>> The configuration files have now been refined and 'polished'. As a
>> consequence, the second release candidate has now been made available.
>>
>> The files may be downloaded from:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/people/ajb/devel/kernel-lt/el5/
>>
>> Alan.
>

> I was able to boot the following kernel:
>
> kernel-lt-3.2.50-0.rc2.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> into runlevel 3 (couldn't boot rl5 as no nvidia drivers on a non-kABI
> kernel).
>
> I needed to apply the hardware clock (RTC) hack detailed in the known issues
> here:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt
>
> Other than that, it boots and I can log in and it shuts down. No further
> testing was performed.
>
> Phil
>
> PS - Hardware was Intel quad core CPU, 2 x SATA HDs in Linux RAID1

I did a test install on RHEL 5 (KVM guests, 32-bit and 64-bit, both
full gnome desktop). All looking good. I had to manually configure the
network (it's using the virtio driver) but that might not be related
to this kernel.

On one system, I did a 'yum update' from 5.8 to 5.9. The other one was
already at 5.9 when kernel-lt was installed. I let them run overnight.
So far nothing particular to report here.

Akemi