[elrepo] kernel-debuginfo-common-x86_64-$KERNEL.x86_64.rpm kernel-debug-$KERNEL.x86_64.rpm packages?

Mark Selby mselby at quantcast.com
Mon Aug 12 15:20:50 EDT 2013

All of the stock RHEL/CentOS kernels are built using a spec file that creates two debug packages that are required if you ever want to run crash against a kernel dump. We have a requirement to move to a 3.x kernel in our CentOS environment because of a kernel bug fix that has not yet been back ported to RHEL/CentOS branch.

I have tested the elrepo kernel-ml-3.10.5-1.el6.elrepo and while it runs stable in our environment we still want the ability to analyze a crash dump in the event that we have one.

Does anyone know of a existing patch to the elrepo spec files that would allow us to build these packages along with the kernel?

Does anyone know of a manual way to generate these debug files. I have looked closely at the CentOS spec file and it is very hard to figure the process by which these packages get created.