[elrepo] RE driver update incompatibility issue

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Feb 2 09:06:12 EST 2013

On 01/30/2013 08:12 AM, Phil Perry wrote:

> I may have jumped the gun here somewhat. Managing the kernel module is
> probably the easy part. I forgot about the hard part, and that is
> managing the many linked X11 libraries that are also version-specific.

Ok, another track here.

Phil, how difficult do you think it would be to have all the packages be
installable both individually and side-by-side?  That is, have multiple
versions of the kmod and the X bits installed, into different
nonconflicting directors?  Then, use alternatives to manage the
different trains?  That way, I could install the legacy train with the
mainline installed, switch to it with alternatives, and uninstall the
mainline, which wouldn't break dependencies.  And, when/if I upgrade my
video card I can install the mainline, switch to it, and uninstall the
legacy, again without breaking deps or configs.  I have no idea how
difficult that would be, either.

Then, an early warning 'system' of sorts with the next to last and last
packages in the mainline (if possible) before another legacy train is
forked from the mainline could give some sort of notice to the user; how
this notice is given I don't know.  But if there were some way to
gracefully regress to the vesa framebuffer or even noveau if the
mainline driver can't load.....

Or maybe a check in %pre that can abort installation of the driver if
the hardware isn't supported, leaving the old one in place?