[elrepo] Intel VGA Controller

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sun Jan 13 13:17:30 EST 2013

On 13 January 2013 13:55, Earl A Ramirez <earlaramirez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Day All,
>
> I have installed CentOS 6.3 on an ASUS EeePc netbook and the only driver
> that I am missing is the VGA controllers for the following graphics card.
>
> [dev at netwarrior ~]$ lspci | grep -i VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor
> D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
>
> The driver ID is as follow
> [dev at netwarrior ~]$ lspci -n | grep 00:02.0
> 00:02.0 0300: 8086:0be1 (rev 09)
>
> I have checked ELRepo and it appears that the driver is not supported. I
> have checked intel's Linux site [0] and it appears that the drivers should
> be in kernel 3.6.5 and above, therefore I installed kernel-ml "title CentOS
> (3.7.2-1.el6.elrepo.i686)." Prior to getting the login prompt I just get a
> blank screen.
>

> Currently the following intel drivers is installed.
> [dev at netwarrior ~]$ rpm -qa | grep intel
> xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.20.3-2.el6.elrepo.i686
> [dev at netwarrior ~]$ rpm -qa | grep mesa
> mesa-libGLU-8.0.4-2.el6.elrepo.i686
> mesa-dri-drivers-8.0.4-2.el6.elrepo.i686
>
> Will there be a package available for the mention graphics card for the
> stock CentOS kernel
> 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.i686 or shall I file a bug for the blank screen that I
> am getting with kernel-ml 3.7.2-1.el6.elrepo.i686
>
> [0] https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

I assume you are booting, by default, into runlevel 5. Have you tested
booting into runlevel 3 and then invoking 'startx' from the CLI,
noting any errors that may be displayed?

With regards to the kernel-ml package, unless it is a packaging error
on our part, it will not be meaningful to open a bug report against
it. From what you have described, it reads as if you are experiencing
a problem with user-land software -- hence my suggestion, above, to
try booting to CLI mode.

As for updating the Intel 'X' driver and associated software packages,
I am not sure who is currently maintaining them . . . perhaps the best
way forward would be for you to open an RFE against the
xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.20.3-2.el6.elrepo package and ask for it to be
updated.

Alan.