[elrepo] Intel VGA Controller

Earl A Ramirez earlaramirez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:52:07 EST 2013

> [...]
> > you could hand-craft and drop into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> > directory.
> >
> > [code]
> > > [    44.640]     Section "Device"
> > > [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> > > [    44.640]         Driver    "intel"
> > > [    44.640]     EndSection
> > > [    44.640]     Section "Screen"
> > > [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> > > [    44.640]         Device    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> > > [    44.640]     EndSection
> > > [    44.640]     Section "Device"
> > > [    44.640]         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Driver    "vesa"
> > > [    44.641]     EndSection
> > > [    44.641]     Section "Screen"
> > > [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Device    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> > > [    44.641]     EndSection
> > > [    44.641]     Section "Device"
> > > [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Driver    "fbdev"
> > > [    44.641]     EndSection
> > > [    44.641]     Section "Screen"
> > > [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Device    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> > > [    44.641]     EndSection
> > > [    44.641]     Section "ServerLayout"
> > > [    44.641]         Identifier    "Builtin Default Layout"
> > > [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> > > [    44.641]         Screen    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> > > [    44.641]     EndSection
> > [/code]
> >
> > Copy / paste the above section into a file and the strip off the "> [
> >   44.640]     " or "> [    44.641]     " (as appropriate) that is at
> > the beginning of each line. That will then be your basic template
> > xorg.conf file. (Keep a pristine copy safe, somewhere else.) Hopefully
> > other subscribers to this list will be able to suggest lines to add to
> > or remove from your working copy. (/etc/X11/xord.conf.d/xorg.conf) It
> > should be possible to get that basic display to work in graphical mode
> > by that method. (I'm not the person able to assist you,
> > unfortunately.)
> >
> > > I am not too familiar with the RFE process can you shed some light on
> > this
> > > or point me in the right direction?
> >
> > As for opening an RFE (request for enhancement), just go to the ELRepo
> > bug tracker [1], open a ticket against the existing xorg-x11-drv-intel
> > package and ask for it to be updated to the latest version. Etc. :)
> >
> > There's no magic involved. By making the request that way, you will
> > ensure that it is seen by all the Admin staff and the current package
> > maintainer.
> >
> > @ELRepo Project community members -- Please join in if you feel you
> > can assist Earl with getting a working basic graphical interface with

Thanks Alan and Antonio,

I have created the xorg.conf file from the code
   Section "Device"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
           Driver    "intel"
       EndSection
       Section "Screen"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
           Device    "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
       EndSection
       Section "Device"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
           Driver    "vesa"
       EndSection
       Section "Screen"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
           Device    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
       EndSection
       Section "Device"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
           Driver    "fbdev"
       EndSection
       Section "Screen"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
           Device    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
       EndSection
       Section "ServerLayout"
           Identifier    "Builtin Default Layout"
           Screen    "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
           Screen    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
           Screen    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
       EndSection

This did not do the trick as I am not getting the preferred resolution. I
will create an RFE to see if we can have an updated version of the intel
drivers.

I have also append video=LVDS-1:d and I saw some strange behaviour. When I
do not append the code to the end of kernel 3.7.2-1.el6.elrepo.i686, I get
the graphical boot, however I will get just a blank screen when instead of
the login window. When I append the code to the end of the kernel I get a
blank screen immediately after I leave grub.

I have be digging around and I found the following in dmesg, I believe that
this is because I am missing the intel_agp module.

[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!
hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger
bdl_pos_adj.
fuse init (API version 7.13)

Any thoughts

Thanks Again