[elrepo] NVIDIA and RHEL 6.5 issue (libglamoregl)

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sat Nov 30 08:30:02 EST 2013

Hi all,

I just wanted to bring to the attention of NVIDIA users one potential
issue with the release of RHEL6.5 and NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

Taken from the NVIDIA changelog for the 304.xx release:

     * Updated nvidia-installer to consider the "libglamoregl.so" X loadable
       extension module to be in conflict with the NVIDIA OpenGL driver.
This
       module can cause the NVIDIA libGL to be loaded into the same process
       (the X server) as the NVIDIA libglx.so extension module, which is not
       a supported use case.

So we see the Xorg glamoregl lib is not compatible with the NVIDIA drivers.

This wasn't previously an issue for us because libglamoregl wasn't
included with Xorg that shipped with RHEL. However, updating to RHEL6.5
now pulls in the xorg-x11-glamor package:

$ rpm -ql xorg-x11-glamor
/usr/lib64/libglamor.so.0
/usr/lib64/libglamor.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/glamor.conf
/usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-glamor-0.5.0
/usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-glamor-0.5.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-glamor-0.5.0/README

As we see above, the package installs a conf file at
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/glamor.conf which loads the Xorg module:

$ cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/glamor.conf
Section "Module"
         Load  "dri2"
         Load  "glamoregl"
EndSection

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep glam
[    25.241] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[    25.262] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[    25.696] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

As glamoregl conflicts with NVIDIA drivers we need to prevent this
happening. Our choices are:

1. We could manipulate the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/glamor.conf file
to prevent the lib from loading by either editing it or renaming/moving
the conf file. However, this has the disadvantage that updates to the
distro xorg-x11-glamor package can undo our work so this probably isn't
the best approach.

2. We could uninstall the conflicting xorg-x11-glamor package. Lets look
at the dependencies to see how it ended up being installed in the first
place:

The package xorg-x11-drivers is installed by default on systems with
Xorg installed. It is a dummy package that pulls in all xorg-x11-drv-*
driver packages as dependencies. One of those packages is
xorg-x11-drv-ati and that Requires xorg-x11-glamor:

# rpm -q --requires xorg-x11-drv-ati | grep glam
libglamor.so.0()(64bit)

So as we would expect:

# yum erase xorg-x11-glamor
<snip>

Dependencies Resolved

  Package          Arch   Version                    Repository     Size
Removing:
  xorg-x11-glamor  x86_64 0.5.0-6.20130401git81aadb8.el6

@rhel-x86_64-server-6 226 k
Removing for dependencies:
  xorg-x11-drivers x86_64 7.3-13.4.el6 @rhel-x86_64-server-6 0.0
  xorg-x11-drv-ati x86_64 7.1.0-3.el6 @rhel-x86_64-server-6 478 k

Transaction Summary
Remove        3 Package(s)

Installed size: 703 k
Is this ok [y/N]:

Personally I would prefer to see users uninstall those packages. This
would be my recommendation.

The question is whether we recommend this action or whether we enforce
it by placing a Conflicts in the nvidia-x11-drv package conflicting with
xorg-x11-glamor? This would enforce users to manually uninstall
xorg-x11-glamor (and xorg-x11-drv-ati and xorg-x11-drivers) but it will
create yum errors either when updating our nvidia packages or when
updating to 6.5.

I'd like to hear input from package users on their thoughts on the above.

WRT the conflict, I haven't been able to observe any detrimental affects
having libglamoregl.so loaded. Simple OpenGL tests such as glxgears
still run and I see no errors in my Xorg log file, so this isn't a show
stopper that is going to instantly crash X for everyone. ATM I have no
idea how to trigger an issue related to this so I would classify the
urgency as low.

Phil