[elrepo] Problem with CUDA since 331.67.elrepo

Michael Lampe mlampe0 at googlemail.com
Fri May 2 19:38:45 EDT 2014

It's your decision, you are the maintainer. I'll confine myself therefore
to technical aspects.

1) Packaging a piece of software also means to adapt it to how things work
in a specific distribution. So one would expect that permissions for the
nvidia devices reproduce the logic of the distribution for dri devices.
 (Principle of least surprise.)

2) Of course nvidia-modprobe works. It's suid root. It will create the
device files and change permissions on the fly so that everyone gets
through. No problems are to be expected, it's a real wheel.

3) Nnvidia-modprobe now loads everything on an "is needed" basis, not only
nvidia-uvm. Given the size of this module and that it's not really new but
something factored out, who cares? It was there before just not singled out.

As for other distributions: Of course, I've looked around what they do.
Rpmfusion is heading in your direction
(minimalistic working base with least effort), those I've looked at and
that will include nvidia-uvm also piggy-back nvidia-uvm (because it cannot
be automatically loaded, it's linux/udev agnostic), and Debian has actually
a working solution for option #1 in my list (just found and tested).

That said I don't have any problems with you taking another approach. This
was just an attempt to contribute something back to a package I was using
for a long time without hassle.

-Michael