[elrepo] kernel-ml compilation flags

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:34:10 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Martin Ichilevici de Oliveira
<iomartin at iomartin.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 09:59:47AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Martin Ichilevici de Oliveira
>> <iomartin at iomartin.net> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have installed kernel-ml on two machines, both being NUMA machines.
>> >
>> > On the first machine (a vm running with emulated nodes through qemu),
>> > the CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING flag was used for configuring the kernel.
>> > On the second, a "real" NUMA machine, that flag was not set.
>> >
>> > Why did this happen? Other NUMA-related flags were set on the second
>> > machine, which I believe means that the kernel detected it is dealing
>> > with a NUMA machine.
>> >
>> > Maybe a more important question is: is it possible to define which flags
>> > to use when installing the kernel? I'd rather not go through a manual
>> > compilation of the kernel.
>>
>> Is this EL6 or EL7?
>
> EL6.
>

>> Also, by "flag", do you mean "kernel config option"?
>
> Yes.

For a given version of kernel (or kernel-ml), the config options
should be the same regardless of the system it was installed on. So,
your observations are puzzling.

Assuming your running kernel is kernel-ml, we'd like to see the output
returned by:

uname -rm

grep NUMA /boot/config-`uname -r`

on both machines.