[elrepo] kernel-ml compilation flags

Martin Ichilevici de Oliveira iomartin at iomartin.net
Tue Sep 23 15:46:49 EDT 2014

> Ah, that explains it. However it would be very useful if you would
> please let us know which system is "good" and which is "bad".
>
> With your help we should be able to configure both the EL6 and EL7
> kernel-ml packages to be identical with respect to "NUMA behaviour".

I like the configuration of EL7 better regarding "NUMA behaviour".

Checking the config options of both machines:

EL7 machines:
$ grep NUMA /boot/config-3.16.3-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_NUMA_BALANCING=y
CONFIG_ARCH_WANTS_PROT_NUMA_PROT_NONE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_USES_NUMA_PROT_NONE=y
CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING_DEFAULT_ENABLED=y
CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING=y
# CONFIG_X86_NUMACHIP is not set
CONFIG_NUMA=y
CONFIG_AMD_NUMA=y
CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
# CONFIG_NUMA_EMU is not set
CONFIG_USE_PERCPU_NUMA_NODE_ID=y
CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA=y

EL6 machine:
$ grep NUMA /boot/config-3.16.3-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_NUMA_BALANCING=y
CONFIG_ARCH_WANTS_PROT_NUMA_PROT_NONE=y
# CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING is not set
# CONFIG_X86_NUMACHIP is not set
CONFIG_NUMA=y
CONFIG_AMD_NUMA=y
CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
# CONFIG_NUMA_EMU is not set
CONFIG_USE_PERCPU_NUMA_NODE_ID=y
CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA=y

In particular, I was missing CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING and
CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING_DEFAULT from EL6, which are set on EL7. However,
I'm not sure if these config options depend on any other being set as
well.

Cheers,
Martin