[elrepo] NVIDIA is dropping support for G8xx, G9xx and GT2xx chipsets

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Sep 23 17:22:58 EDT 2014

On 23/09/14 22:01, Steve Cleveland wrote:
> I just want to chime in and let you all know how much I appreciate the
> work you do on this.  nVidia doesn't make things easy in this regard.
>
> I like your approach to this point.  It would be great to have some time
> in testing with an updated nvidia-detect and the new driver release when
> it's available.  I'm not sure I have any newer hardware at this point,
> but I can probably get something to test with.
>
>  - Steve

Hi Steve,

Top priority will be to get an updated version of nvidia-detect out the
door that handles the new driver versions.

We will then look to get the new driver released but initially that can
go into the testing repository. Provided there are no critical security
issues I'm quite happy to delay the driver release for a few days / week
to allow us time to raise awareness. We have a LOT of users of the
nvidia package and very few are subscribed to this list so the potential
impact is large.

At some point we will need to migrate the current 340.xx driver release
to a legacy package. We could do that now, publicize the fact and try to
get as many potentially affected users as possible switched over now
before the new long term driver release happens.