[elrepo] Compile kernel-ml for centos 7

Aaron Siegel admin at siegel-tech.net
Tue Sep 30 09:00:06 EDT 2014

Hello

I am needing to recompile the kernel-ml for a centos 7 installation. I
have been using Linux/FreeBSD user for 17 in that time I have compiled
may kernels. I have usually compile using step similar
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos

The centos wiki advises against using the this methods and then provides
an incomplete instruction on how to perform the process
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

Fedora's wiki provides the instruction missing from the centos
instruction
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

I am unable to download the source using yumdownloader
	$ yumdownloader --source kernel-ml
	Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
	Enabling extras-source repository
	Enabling centosplus-source repository
	centosplus-source           | 2.9 kB     00:00
	extras-source               | 2.9 kB     00:00
	 * base: ftpmirror.your.org
	 * centosplus: repos.dfw.quadranet.com
	 * elrepo: mirror.pw
	 * elrepo-kernel: mirror.pw
	 * epel: mirror.compevo.com
	 * epel-debuginfo: mirror.cs.pitt.edu
	 * epel-source: mirror.compevo.com
	 * extras: mirror.spro.net
	 * updates: dallas.tx.mirror.xygenhosting.com
	No source RPM found for kernel-ml-3.16.2-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
	No source RPM found for kernel-ml-3.16.3-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
	Nothing to download

I downloaded the the src rpm (or nosrc) from the elrepo this package
appears to install the kernel again. I do not see it in ~/rpmbuild
directory. I guess the nosrc means it does not contain the src tree.

I have installed kernel-ml-devel, the source is in /usr/src, I can
change the permission of that directory compile like I have done in the
past. Linux has changed a lot since I was regularly compiling the
kernel, it has been many year since I have needed to compile a linux
kernel.

What is the recommend procedure for compiling kernel-ml for centos? I
want the kernel to be as close to the centos kernel as possible but of
course with the exception of the patches I apply and a couple of changes
in the config.

Thank you
Aaron