[elrepo] Kmod compatibility with RHEL 7.1

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu Mar 5 12:22:21 EST 2015

Hi all,

As most of you will have noticed, Red Hat have today released RHEL 7.1.

Unfortunately, after some preliminary testing we have identified a
number of kmod packages in elrepo that are not kABI compatible with the
RHEL 7.1 kernel (kernel-3.10.0-229.el7.x86_64).

The following packages in the elrepo repository are not currently
compatible with the RHEL 7.1 kernel:

kmod-accraid
kmod-ar5523
kmod-ath5k
kmod-ax88179_178a
kmod-drbd84
kmod-e1000e
kmod-ixgbe
kmod-nvidia
kmod-nvidia-304xx
kmod-nvidia-340xx
kmod-reiserfs
kmod-rr62x
kmod-rr64xl
kmod-rts5139
kmod-sym53c8xx
kmod-xpad
kmod-zd1211rw

Further, some packages once rebuilt against the RHEL 7.1 kernel are then
not backward compatible with earlier 7.0 kernels. This effectively means
users will want to update their kmods at the same time as updating their
kernel.

What I propose to do is to rebuild the above packages against the RHEL
7.1 kernel and push them to the testing repository (packages that are
backward compatible could be pushed straight to the main repository).

We recommend that users update to 7.1 and then update any affected kmod
packages from the elrepo-testing repository. Users still on 7.0 will
still have the current versions available.

Once the main clones have released their 7.1 offerings the above
packages can be moved from the testing repository to the main elrepo
repository.

To prevent users accidentally installing a kmod on 7.0 that was built
against 7.1 and is not backward compatible with 7.0, we will add
Requires for the 7.1 kernel.

Any comments / thoughts?

Phil