[elrepo] patching kernel modules agasint elrepo

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Tue Nov 22 02:30:37 EST 2016

On 21/11/16 21:31, Morgan Yang wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I have downloaded and installed 4.4.32-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 from elrepo-lt,
> I'm not patching kernel modules against 4.4.32 source code from
> www.kernel.org

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do, but...

> 1. I downloaded and extracted the source https://www.kernel.org/
> pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.4.32.tar.gz
>
> 2. I ported the patches from to the latest source
>
> 3. Built via the following commands
>
>    1. make clean && make oldconfig && make prepare && make modules_prepare
>    2. make modules -j8

you don't need to rebuild the whole kernel, you can just compile the
module in question against the currently running kernel. You will need
the kernel-lt-devel and kernel-lt-headers packages installed.

> I then copied the <module>.ko to /usr/lib/modules/4.4.32-1.e
> l7.elrepo.x86_64/kernel
>
> However, when  attemp to load the module, I see
>
> [242683.114843] ip_gre: no symbol version for module_layout
>
> Is it because version 4.4.32-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 is failing the check?
> Since elrepo has no SRPM's, how would one go about patching changes without
> building and installing the entire kernel from kernel.org?

SRPMs are available here:

http://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el7/SRPMS/

they are actually nosrc.rpm's (to save mirror space and bandwidth) so
you'll also need to download the corresponding kernel source tarball
from kernel.org, but otherwise contain everything you need to rebuild
elrepo's kernel packages.