[elrepo] Primus

vychytraly . vychytraly at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 19:41:49 EDT 2017

Hello friends,

I hope that Im not asking already answered question, but I could not find
any information regarding this subject. Im using centos on my laptop with
dual gpu, currently set up with great ElRepo packages using bumblebee and
kmod-nvidia. (Thank you very much for maintaining it :) ) But today I was
reading a bit about optirun and its options and I found out that it is able
to run an app in 2 modes - via VirtualGL or Primus and many websites
mention that Primus is newer method and have some benefits. (
https://askubuntu.com/questions/669011/what-is-the-difference-between-optirun-and-primusrun
) Even optirun on my laptop has an option to run apps via primus and also
the bumblebee config file is pointing to primus libraries (
PrimusLibraryPath=/usr/lib/primus:/usr/lib32/primus ). But when I was
looking for these folders I found out that they dont exist, so I think that
I dont have primus installed. So thats why I just wanted to ask only out of
curiosity (VirtualGL works really good for me :) ) why kmod-nvidia packages
do not include primus? Or should it be installed separately? (How? Or is it
a separate package, not a part of a driver?)  Would not primus bring some
performance benefits?

Thank you very much and have a nice day :)
Ondro