[elrepo] nvidia K1 issue

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Jul 24 15:27:00 EDT 2017

On 24/07/17 19:12, Steve Cleveland wrote:
> I believe my issue is the same as this:
>
> https://elrepo.org/bugs/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=724
>
> But I can't see how to reopen it or comment on it.  I have a K1 card.
> nvidia-detect is telling me I need kmod-nvidia-367xx, which doesn't
> appear to exist.  The difference is the K1 card does not appear to be
> supported in the 375.66 driver like the K2 card.
>
> # rpm -q nvidia-detect
> nvidia-detect-375.66-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
>
> # nvidia-detect -v
> Probing for supported NVIDIA devices...
> [102b:0534] Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2
> [10de:0ff2] NVIDIA Corporation GK107GL [GRID K1]
> This device requires the legacy 367.xx NVIDIA driver kmod-nvidia-367xx
> [10de:0ff2] NVIDIA Corporation GK107GL [GRID K1]
> This device requires the legacy 367.xx NVIDIA driver kmod-nvidia-367xx
> [10de:0ff2] NVIDIA Corporation GK107GL [GRID K1]
> This device requires the legacy 367.xx NVIDIA driver kmod-nvidia-367xx
> [10de:0ff2] NVIDIA Corporation GK107GL [GRID K1]
> This device requires the legacy 367.xx NVIDIA driver kmod-nvidia-367xx
>
> Has there been a 367.xx legacy release from nvidia?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   - Steve

Hi Steve,

I believe nvidia dropped support for your GRID K1 card in the latest
375.xx series driver, so you need to stay on the last 367.xx series driver.

The last 367.xx series driver released by nvidia was 367.57.

Apparently nvidia will support your card going forward with legacy
releases to the 367 series, but as of yet they have not released any
updates. So the most recent (current) 367 series driver is the 367.57
release. When nvidia release a legacy update we will release that as
kmod-nvidia-367xx legacy driver, or at least that was the plan.

I updated nvidia-detect to report the 367.xx series driver as the
correct driver for those cards anticipating nvidia would make a legacy
release imminently but they haven't. Sorry for the confusion that has
caused.

For now, you just need to install and stick with the last 367.57 driver
release.

Assuming you have yum-plugin-nvidia installed, the latest 375 series
driver should be blacklisted on your system and not available to install
with yum as it does not support your hardware, so simply doing:

yum install kmod-nvidia

should pull in the latest 367.57 driver automatically for you. In other
words, by the magic of yum-plugin-nvidia, yum _should_ just do the right
thing for you (please tell me this works for you!). And because future
(version > 367) releases are blacklisted by yum, yum should never offer
you updated driver versions that do not support your hardware.

If for any reason that isn't working, the specific driver version you
want is:

yum install kmod-nvidia-367.57-3.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

As nvidia don't appear forthcoming on a 367 legacy release I might as
well repackage the latest 367 driver as kmod-nvidia-367xx to at least
start the ball rolling. I'll try to get that done this week.

Phil

PS - the bug you linked is marked as resolved, not closed, so you
_should_ be able to add to it if you so desire (no need to reopen). This
is the reason I tend not to close bugs, so people can add to them if
they need (or you are always welcome to open a new bug).