[elrepo] Without the mptfc.ko for centos 7

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Thu May 4 06:47:57 EDT 2017

On 04/05/17 04:57, Randy Li wrote:
> 從我的 iPad 傳送
>
>> Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org> 於 2017年5月3日 下午11:56 寫道:
>>

>>> On 03/05/17 14:13, Randy Li wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>> I recently bought a LSI FC949ES (LSI 7204EP-LC) fibre channel adapter.
>>> And I installed it in my HP DL 380e g8 server. I found there is a module
>>> for that adapter, but there is no such package for centos 7. Could
>>> someone tell me why it is not supported(not stable ?).
>>> If there is nothing special, I would try to port it into centos 7.
>>
>> Looks like mptfc.ko was deprecated by Red Hat in RHEL6:
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_
> Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/sect-
> packages-deprecated-drivers.html
>>
>> and as such is not supported in RHEL7. I'm guessing the reason is it's
> old and considered end of life, and RH doesn't wish to keep backporting
> fixes for the next 10+ years.
> I see.
>> There is no reason not to backport and maintain it yourself in RHEL7,
> simply RH have chosen not to.
> Well this adapter is very cheap, and suitable for the home usage fibre
> network.
> Also I have had that adapter and linux kernel doesn't drop the supporting
> of it, right ?

Correct. The only potential issue to be aware of is future
compatibility. We may be able to backport the driver for the RHEL kernel
now but RH may change things in their kernel in the future that may make
it difficult or impossible for us to support it, so as long as you are
aware of that and not using it for anything critical.

> The one problem is that whether EL repo would or would not accept it.
> Is there any guide about adding a new kernel modules packages for RHEL?

Let me look at backporting it for you. It seems to depend on the SCSI
sub-system so I'll just need to figure out which is the correct kernel
to backport from.

I'll post back here when I have a driver package for you to test.

Regards,

Phil