[elrepo] Without the mptfc.ko for centos 7

Randy Li ran.dylx.r at gmail.com
Sat May 6 03:39:47 EDT 2017

> On 04/05/17 11:47, Phil Perry wrote:
>

>> On 04/05/17 04:57, Randy Li wrote:
>>
>>> 從我的 iPad 傳送
>>>
>>> Phil Perry <phil at elrepo.org> 於 2017年5月3日 下午11:56 寫道:

>>> Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/sect-
>>> packages-deprecated-drivers.html

>>> old and considered end of life, and RH doesn't wish to keep backporting
>>> fixes for the next 10+ years.
>>> I see.

>>> simply RH have chosen not to.
>>> Well this adapter is very cheap, and suitable for the home usage fibre
>>> network.
>>> Also I have had that adapter and linux kernel doesn't drop the supporting
>>> of it, right ?
>>>

>> Correct. The only potential issue to be aware of is future
>> compatibility. We may be able to backport the driver for the RHEL kernel
>> now but RH may change things in their kernel in the future that may make
>> it difficult or impossible for us to support it, so as long as you are
>> aware of that and not using it for anything critical.
>>
>> The one problem is that whether EL repo would or would not accept it.
>>> Is there any guide about adding a new kernel modules packages for RHEL?
>>>

>> Let me look at backporting it for you. It seems to depend on the SCSI
>> sub-system so I'll just need to figure out which is the correct kernel
>> to backport from.
>>
>> I'll post back here when I have a driver package for you to test.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> I've built a driver package for you to test, it's in the testing
> repository and files are currently syncing to the mirrors.
>
> kmod-mptfc-3.04.20-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>
> Once files have synced to the mirrors, to install:
>
> yum --enablerepo=elrepo-testing install kmod-mptfc
>
> and you'll probably need to 'modprobe mptfc' or reboot the system.

Thank you, that package works for me.

> If you could let me know if it works as expected and then we can promote
> the package to the main repository.

But actually I found I don't have a good way to use this device, since it
is quite old, the userspace supporting has been dropped.
I am just sure the module works fine for me, that module loaded and show me
the correct information, I didn't meet any problem in 7 hours.