[elrepo] which nvidia package

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:19:29 EDT 2017

Is there advice for things to try when a chip which is nominally
supported (my laptop has a GTX 1050 Mobile) isn't working?   In
particular, the driver installs without trouble, the kernel module loads
without anyobvious error report in dmesg, but the X server gives an (EE)
No devices detected error.    The nouveau module is blacklisted and
indeed isn't loaded.   I'm unsure what else to check.

I'm actually fairly happy with run-of-the-mill opengl performance on
this laptop even without using the nvidia chip, but it would be nice to
see how power consumption compares with the intel graphics, and to run
more demanding stuff.   (The other nice thing about using just the intel
graphics without even nouveau is that "systemctl hibernate" works.)
Still I'd like to give the nvidia driver a try.