[elrepo] Announcement: EL7 New kernel-ml Release [4.15.0-1]

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Sun Feb 4 17:57:19 EST 2018

On 04/02/18 21:15, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a question about this statement:
>

>> Kernel-ml has the retpoline patches but at present RHEL does not have
>> a retpoline-aware compiler. The upstream kernel code (kernel.org) does
>> not currently contain the IBRS patches that Red Hat have incorporated
>> into the distro kernel.
>
> Once a retpoline enabled compiler is available, will ONLY the kernel
> need to be rebuilt with it or will *ALL* packages need to be recompiled
> as well (from the Centos community, 3rd party packages, etc)?

You would need to address that question to the providers of those
packages, but I have not seen any mention of anything other than
recompiling the kernel.

I note SUSE have recently announced they have backported retpoline
patches to gcc-4.8 which is of the same vintage as that used in RHEL7,
so it appears feasible if that is a path Red Hat wish to take:

https://news.opensuse.org/2018/01/26/opensuse-meltdown-spectre-update-26-jan-2018/