[elrepo] Recommended minimum fixes in both the kernel and Intel microcode for Meltdown and Spectre

David Ranch elrepo at trinnet.net
Fri Jan 5 20:50:30 EST 2018

Hello Everyone,

I have two questions about the recent CPU bugs that were announced this
week:

    - Which Linus kernel versions included the kernel side fixes that
help mitigate these issues?  I'm specifically looking at the LT series
for Centos 6

    - To get some of the Intel microcode fixes, should I be expecting
that the Centos 6 "microcode_ctl-1.17-25.2.el6_9.x86_64" package I
received today will be applicable on *any* ElRepo kernel I choose to run?

    - I have systems which still need Centos5 that I want to secure but
that's obviously EOL.  I'd like to understand what the ElRepo group
recommends to run as a vanilla kernel that has these needed CPU fixes as
well as any recommendations on how to get an updated CPU microcode
package for it.

Thanks for you time..

--David